Last week I interviewed Kerry Kayes- what a great name in nutrition. Here it is!
1- Can you tell our readers a little about your background in nutrition and sport past and present
I hate talking about myself because you are obviously trying to tell the readers your involvement in various sports, you are going to sell yourself which sounds as if you are being big headed.
I started training as a hobby when I was 17 years old, I was working on a building site as an apprentice electrician and some of the sparks were bodybuilders, I could not believe how well they looked and ended up going to a gymnasium called Sunfis which was one of the very few gyms in Manchester in 1967. I’m now 61 years old and I have been actively involved in sport for 44 years. I opened a gymnasium called Betta Bodies about 26 years ago and own CNP Professional Sports Nutrition which I founded. I’m an ex British bodybuilding champion. CNP supply the British Cycling and Sky Team as well as more than half the premiership football clubs and hundreds of lower league clubs, I work with various world class athletes in the sports of boxing, MMA, bodybuilding and athletics and have given seminars to the Royal Navy (I’m doing another one in Plymouth on 21st September).
2-What do you think are the biggest nutritional mistakes made by athletes today and why?
Looking for shortcuts and believing some of the advertising hype about various magical compounds. Nutrition is a very complex subject, the more you know about it the more complicated it gets, but you cannot reinvent the wheel, you have to eat small and often (to keep your metabolism working) and vary your foods as much as possible. A lot of athletes forget about their micronutrients (vitamins & minerals) which are responsible for all metabolic reactions in the body.
3-is the most challenging individual you have worked with in terms of nutrition?
Ricky Hatton probably, he used to come to the gym 40+ lbs overweight (At the beginning of a camp he would never step on the scales in front of me) and unfit so we had to put a lot of workload onto his body while depleting his calories. In one year when he had 3 fights, he lost more than his total body weight. On some of the forums people used to write, why do I allow this? The reality was his Mum and Dad and Billy Graham the trainer couldn’t stop him so what chance did I have? I just had to put it right.
Before I say the athlete, I would have to say the most disciplined sport I have worked in by a mile is bodybuilding. To be a bodybuilder you have to show discipline 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. 20% of the sport is in the gymnasium sending the signal to your muscles that they are inadequate for the workload you are putting on them. The other 80% is where the discipline is; eating the correct amount of nutrients in the right calorie environment from the moment you wake up to the moment you go to bed. Miss one meal and you have taken a small step backwards. When I was body building I honestly had egg whites for breakfast on Christmas Day whereas other sports, boxing, MMA, football etc. they have a lot of downtime after a fight or when the season finishes. Bodybuilding is so different.
Because of what I have said about the discipline of body building, more or less every single bodybuilder I have ever worked with had incredible discipline but even some of them had some downtime after a show. If I had to name one man if would be a guy called John Hodgson who was not particularly born with great genetics but through immense discipline, week in week out earned himself an IFBB Pro Card. John had the mind-set that would have conquered the North Pole or Everest.
5-How do you think performance nutrition will change in the coming years?
As I said earlier, you can’t reinvent the wheel (but people will carry on repackaging it!). I am hoping the supplement industry will start getting policed (by the government) as much as the food industry does and some of these outrageous claims will be outlawed.
6-I’m a great believer in CNP products what would you say are the differences between CNP and some of the other main brands such as Maximuscle and Multi Power?
Who owns some of these other brands? (Men in suits that have never even been inside a gymnasium) CNP is 100% owned by Kerry Kayes an ex British Bodybuilding Champion/Black belt at karate who owns Betta Bodies Gymnasium and is at a sporting event most weekends. I give free seminars up and down the country to group and individual athletes at every level, I have a passion for sport it is not just a business. I have to look into the end users eyes. I also manufacture my products in-house, I know what is in my tubs. A lot of supplement companies just buy in tubs and put their own labels on.
Cheers Kerry Thanks for the Interview!